Enlightened ramblings of a minarchist libertarian with Objectivist tendencies

Wednesday, July 21, 2004

Fun With Spam or How to Make Millions in Minutes

As you know, I recently received this email. I did not reply. Then the other day, Rockynoggin at Cornpone wrote this.

As luck would have it, I received another chance to follow Rocky's cue and have a little fun. In fact, it was so much fun that I am calling on all members of the Blogosphere (authors and readers alike) to join in the fun.

The next time you receive one of these scam letters, write up a reply and send it off (preferably from a separate account that you use as a Spam dump). Send me a copy of the original letter and your reply to it and I will post it here.

Here is the one I received today:

ATTN:Sir/Madam
I know you would be surprised to receive this mail, but I would start by introducing my self I am MR FRED KINGS.A member of Charles Taylor Government, the ousted President of Liberia, my purpose of writing you this mail is to seek your assistance
in retrieving my funds which I lodge in the security company in my country Liberia before the war started the security company move every belongies in there position to there head office in Europe for safety because of the war. I managed to escape out of Liberia to African were I am now for asylum including my President and some others members of our Government and l cannot retrieve it myself because of my Status Right Now. Well I need your assistance to clear this funds, if you are willing to assist me kindly notify me via this email address and I Will instruct you on the procedure that will enable us retrieve the Funds and we will also discuss your benefit for your assistance my Friend know that this assistance did not have
any risk involved I have every prove and every documentation that Back the funds up.
Waiting to hear from you.
Best Regards.
MR FRED KINGS,


And here is my reply:


Dear Mr. Kings,

I hope this reply finds you in good health and high spirits. I would be delighted to help you with this worthwhile cause.

I have long been a supporter of Mr. Taylor. It made me ill, almost to the point of regurgitation, the way the US Government railroaded him with false accusations of embezzlement and actually had the poor man kidnapped. Those actions were certainly beyond the pale.

I commend you on your own escape from Liberia. Though I am not exactly sure how I can aid you in retrieving what is rightfully yours, I am sure that you have a well planned paradigm of how to accomplish just that. Perhaps a couple of my friends over at the State Department could be of some assistance in this matter. They owe me a favor, and are certain to be sympathetic to your cause. They were just as appalled at the actions of that bastard Bush as I was.

I look forward to hearing from you as soon as possible. I am sure that we can get this matter resolved in a timely manner.

Sincerely,

John Q Public

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->