Enlightened ramblings of a minarchist libertarian with Objectivist tendencies

Thursday, July 08, 2004

Tupac in School?

Born in 1972, I grew up a kid of the late 70s and early 80s. This meant that I came to age about the same time as the Rap/Hip-hop genre.

I still like to go old school and pull out such favorites as Run-DMC, Kurtis Blow and even the Fat Boys. It is not uncommon to hear the Beastie Boys, NWA, AMG, etc playing on my stereo as I cruise around in my convertible.

That being said, I read one of the most asinine things I've peered upon in some time. Apparently, a school district in Worcester, MA has decided it would be a good idea to add Tupac Shakur (one of my favorites) to the summer reading list.

Is it any wonder Bill Cosby has to complain that kids can't even speak proper English when their teachers are passing off the poetry of Shakur as a reading assignment?

His book reads more like the text of an SMS or Instant Message log than anything else. It is rife with misspellings, numbers substituted for words such as to and for, and just generally lacks any educational value.

As long as public schools keep trying to seem cool rather than trying to teach, they will keep falling further and further behind.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->